In January 2017, the father of Dustin Hood, the teenager who died after consuming Monster Energy Drink, sued the energy drink company. According to Dustin’s father, Monster Energy Drink was responsible for the death of his son. Here are the facts regarding this case:
- Dustin Hood died tragically at the age of 19 in 2015.
- Prior to Dustin’s tragic death, he drank approximately 3 ½, 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy within a period of 24 hours. According to his father’s lawsuit, after drinking the last of the 24-ounce can of Monster, Dustin went out to play basketball with his friends and collapsed on the court. He was quickly rushed to a nearby hospital, where he tragically died.
- Dustin’s official cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia, which according to the lawsuit was triggered by too much caffeine.
- According the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Dustin’s father, which was somehow obtained by TMZ, it was claimed that 3 ½, 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy has the same amount of caffeine content that one can get from taking 14, 12-ounce cans of Coke.
- Dustin’s father wants Monster Beverage Corp, the manufacturers of Monster Energy drink to compensate him for the loss of his son.
It is worth noting that this isn’t the first time that someone has died after drinking Monster Energy Drink. Over the years, there have been several reports of people dying after drinking Monster Energy Drink. For example, in December 2011, a 14-year-old girl named Anais Fournier died tragically after she drank two, 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy within a period of 24 hours. Her official cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity. In Fournier’s case, she was suffering from a pre-existing heart condition prior to taking the energy drink.
Fournier’s parents later filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Monster Beverage Corp for the death of their daughter.